Sunday 10 July 2011

The Abseil

Today was the day we'd been waiting for, well some were dreading it, others were excited!! The abseil!!!..


The 14 abseilers (who deserve all the glory) were as follows:
Matthew Brett - Step-Dad
Kimberley Thorpe - Sister
Tony Nelli - Father-in-law (to be)
Megan Nelli - Sister-in-law (to be)
Georgina Keinzley - Megan's Friend
Ashton Gibbs - Cousin
Chris Leek - Ashton's Boyfriend
Justin Dedman - Uncle
Steven Brett - Step-Uncle
Adam Chisnall - Second Cousin
Adam Wedlow - Second Cousins Fiance
Dean Knights - Friend
April Scott - Friend
Joe Louth - Friend



Just to give you an idea of the height!



The amount of people who came along to watch and show their support was amazing. A few of the people doing the abseil were very frightened, but they all managed it and I'm very proud of each and every one of them.
A special little mention for Megan Nelli, who broke her big toe on Thursday and has been on crutches, still had the determination to do it so I'm so so proud of her, despite the pain she was clearly in during and after the abseil, she still did it!! Love you lots Meg :).

The sun was shining all day and we have raised just over £2800, we really want to reach our £3000 target, so I know I'm starting to sound like an annoying broken record, but every contribution counts. So, if you can dig deep and can donate, it would mean a lot to me and all of my wonderful family and friends who helped make this day brilliant and raised so much money for people like me and the thousands of others who suffer daily with Cystic Fibrosis.

The CF trust is not funded by the government so everything is donation based, there is a potential cure in something called 'gene therapy' but right now, there is not enough money to begin proper tests on CF patients. This could be the cure we have all been waiting for, when I was a baby, the doctors told Mum they thought a cure would be found by the time I was a teenager, needless to say, it was not found. So literally every little donation is helping to bring that possibility ever closer...
Kerry Thorpe's Just Giving Page

I've had a fantastic day, the Evening Star newspaper were there and took some photos and I gave a quick interview, so that will be in the paper tomorrow night! :)

Thanks again and I'll be back after my holiday!
xxx

4 comments:

Matchlight said...

Dear Kerry

My name is Anne-Claire Pilley. I work for TV production company Matchlight (see www.matchlight.co.uk). I've been reading your blog and I've been really moved by how positive, thoughtful and warm your posts are. I would love to speak to you and Josh about a potential documentary about your story for BBC Three. I can be reached on 0141 332 0319 or, if you'd rather, you can email me on anne-claire.pilley(at) matchlight.co.uk with a contact and a good time to call. Really looking forward to hearing from you. Hope to speak soon!

Thanks so much for your time :-)

Anne-Claire x

Matchlight said...

Apologies my email address is in fact Anneclaire.Pilley(at)matchlight.co.uk. Woops! x

Me said...

Well done everyone! xx

natwillsbrg said...

I am in NYC, I contacted NTF(National Transplant Foundation) and they will help me raise $10,000. How does this work exactly? I'm sure it's different in other countries, but wht if I like threw a HUGE fundraising carnival, or BBQ, it's been SUPER hot lately, so ppl will prob go for it. Any other ideas on fundraising, other than abseiling a building?